Ivy passed away peacefully at home on December 7th, 2015 in her 90th year. Ivy was predeceased by her husband of 62 years, Harry in 2008. Ivy is survived by her children, Fred (Peggy) Rogers and Alison (Corvin) Uhrbach and her grandchildren, Jason(Chelsey) and Kim (Michal) Mark (Heidi) and Karen (Anthony) and her great grandchildren Tessa and Ethan, Ella and Noah, and Lydia.

A Memorial Service will be held Saturday December 12th at 11am at First Metropolitan United Church, in the chapel, with lunch following. A family gathering to celebrate Ivy’s life is planned for a later date. In lieu of flowers donations may be made in Ivy’s name to “Our Place Society” or a charity close to your heart.  Condolences may be offered to the family below.


Eulogy From Memorial Service

Ivy Rogers – Memories from the family

Ivy Rogers was born in Montreal, the youngest of 8 children – her older sister Maud, and then 6 boys, and then Ivy.  Her family lived in Montreal, but owned a cottage in the Laurentian mountains, where Ivy and extended family spent some of her most beloved times. Ivy grew up with her niece Fran, just 5 years her junior, and like a sister to her. Fran recalls Ivy as a “bit of a devil”, always liking to tease her older brothers, but then when they retaliated, playing innocent so that they suffered all the blame. One of Fran’s fondest memories of Ivy is at the Lake, where she had Fran row her around the lake, insisting that it would help develop her bust, while Ivy stretched in an alluring pose hoping to attract any and all young fellows who might be going by.

Even as a child, Ivy suffered from asthma and allergies. At the tender age of 18, Ivy was sent West to the “clean mountain air” in an effort to improve her health. Unfortunately, she was sent to a relative who lived on a farm just north of Calgary, and the grain dust, old farm house, and farm animals did NOTHING to IMPROVE her health! She ended up living in Calgary, boarding with Harry’s cousin, Alison.  Harry and Ivy were a “”match making” triumph for his cousin, an introduction that led to a 62 year marriage!

They settled in Edmonton, where Harry attended University, and pursued his career. Ivy settled in as a housewife and soon a mother to Fred, and then Alison.

Harry and Ivy joined Metropolitan United Church, and Ivy was active in the choir, and also as a soloist, singing for many weddings and funerals.  Alison remembers sitting in the church balcony many a Saturday afternoon, watching the brides, as her mom sang.

Ivy and Harry were charter members of the church’s Couple Club, which then evolved into the “Coffee Gang” – an offshoot of some of the rowdier Members of the Couples club. Those friendships were life long.

Ivy was always fashionable and loved to dress up.  In Edmonton, she and Harry belonged to  LesAmis, a formal dance club that allowed her that opportunity several times a year. Formal dress was required, and one of Corvin’s memories is meeting Alison’s parents for the first time, Harry dressed in a tuxedo, and Ivy in a long formal dress, bedecked with jewelry. Quite the introduction for a farm boy, soon to be their son-in-law.

Always an avid sports fan, Ivy and Harry held season’s tickets to the Eskimos for many years. Fred joined them on the sidelines for many of those years, and shares his mom’s interest in sports. It was a topic of conversation for many a phone call, up to and including the Grey Cup this year. Fred’s daughter Kim also remembers Grandma’s love of sports, and felt she learned from her Grandma that girls could be interested in sports as well as “the boys”.  We all felt this week that Ivy would have been thrilled to know she finally made it to the “Sports page” albeit in the obituaries on the back page.

Ivy always loved to entertain, and annual New Year’s parties, “Coffee Gang” parties, and any occasion for a party gave Ivy an opportunity to shine.  Her grandson Jason remembers going to Grandma Rogers house for lunch after church on Sundays, and he recalls that Grandma was always so happy when there was a group of people around her. Her grandson Mark agreed that Grandma’s face lit up when she went into any roomful of people.

Ivy and Harry moved to Victoria in 1987. Harry was retired, and they loved the idea of no snow in the winter. Once relocated, they become active members of Metropolitan United Church in Victoria. Once again, Ivy sang in the choir, and enjoyed the camaraderie that allowed. They also took up lawn bowling, and Ivy loved the competition, as well as the spiffy uniforms. Once again, close friends were formed. Family visited often in Victoria, and  all the grandchildren recall loving feeding the ducks in Beacon Hill park. That particular tradition has been continued with Ivy’s great grandchildren more recently when they have visited, and perhaps Lydia, who’s here today will be able to try “feeding the ducks” soon, in memory of great-grandma Rogers.  Grandson Mark remembers heading for coffee with grandma whenever we visited, an occasion for him to have a hot chocolate with whipped cream. He also recalls the fun Grandma had at the 50th Wedding Anniversary party, and then the 60th! He thought grandma was quite the entertainer.!

After Harry died in 2008, Ivy moved to the Wellesley. She continued to be involved with the church, and even the choir for a while.  Ivy enjoyed the outings on Willow beach with the “walkers” – although we all think Grandma enjoyed the visiting and tea more than the actual “walking”. Family continued to visit, Grandchildren now with their spouses, and soon the addition of Great-Grandchildren. Karen and her husband Anthony joined Alison and Corvin one Christmas to celebrate with Grandma, with turkey dinner being provided by the Wellesley. Mark remembers his daughter Ella, only 3 years old, going with Great Grandma for tea at the Empress. It was an occasion to  “dress up” and go somewhere special.  Something Ivy always loved to do.

The past few years found Ivy staying closer to home, but she loved a phone call to hear what everyone else was up to.  Her grandson Jason got her online with Skype on her computer, and she often visited with him while he was living in Japan, and more recently from California. She emailed both family and friends, and was able to view the Sunday services “online” even when she could no longer attend First Met. Church. Right up until her death, she stayed up to date on her sports teams, her politics, and the comings and goings of all the family.

Granddaughter Kim’s most poignant memory, and one that stuck with her, was something Grandma told her when she was just tiny. They had come for a visit, and were getting ready to leave. Kim was crying, and Grandma hugged her and said “if you never say goodbye you can never say hello”   That is something we all can remember today as we say our goodbyes to Ivy.


McCall’s Funeral Home


  • Rachel Munday

    My thoughts are with you all. I am sitting here with Mum (Sheila), Jennie and Joanne and Michael. We read through Ivy’s eulogy together and are remembering the happy times with both Ivy and Harry on their trip to UK almost 30 years ago. I will remember Skyping with Ivy from the far north and both of us laughing as neither of us were up and dressed, but chatted happily with tea and toast “breakfasting” together. Bye Ivy!

  • peter wright

    My condolences to all the family.
    A ‘great force of nature’ will certainly be missed for sure. My fondest recollection of Ivy was one time at a party two individuals (I can’t remember exactly who they were) had gotten into a disagreement and it had cast a sombre mood over the festive atmosphere. Ivy, in her inimitable style, looked at the culprits and exclaimed, “come on you two, you don’t waste time being mad at each other, life’s too short, suck it up, make up and let’s get on with it.” That was Ivy’s philosophy in a nut shell.

  • Steve Smart

    I always looked forward to seeing my Auntie Ivy because she was like a force of nature, a fresh gust blowing in off the prairie, and when she and my Dad (Howard, or Howie as she called him) got going, the jokes and laughs would fill the house, and possibly the neighbors’ houses as well! Even as children we knew how special she was — she didn’t behave as other “grown-ups” did; she always had a twinkle in her eye and a bantering way of talking.

    I’m afraid the world will be a poorer place without her, but we’ll carry on with our memories. I still think of her whenever I hear a soaring soprano voice, or a particularly infectious laugh!

    All my love and affection to the whole family, and I hope you get consolation from knowing how much “Aunt Ivy” meant to all of us!

  • Les Smart

    My sincerest condolences. I just received this news in an e mail from Marj and it made me remember those Christmas dinners at Aunt Maud and Uncle Franks in St. Laurent. Aunt Ivy as I remember was always the life of the party – her laughter ringing through the room. Being named after her oldest brother holds special significance for me. She is fondly remembered.

  • Marj & Doug Phillips

    My only regret was the far distance we lived from one another. She was great, kind, generous, but bossy with a marvelous sense of fun and humour. You could turn Ivey around with the right words as the joy of laughter and fun could override any thing else. She was a wonderful aunt and I shall miss her.

  • Gwen Plested

    Sorry for your loss. My thoughts and prayers are with you. I only met Ivy the few days I accompanied Alison to Victoria and found her to be very friendly and welcoming.

  • Mary

    My condolences to Mrs. Rogers family and friends
    It was an absolute honour to have shared with ivy her last couple of months.she spend most of her final days talking about her family and making a lot of jokes ..she had such a great sense of humour!i will miss u ivy…what a pleasure it was to meet u!RIP xo

  • Fran Wight

    My thoughts and prayers are with you all and I look forward to our family reunion when the time comes. Of all who knew mw at birth, Ivy was the last. I shall miss her greatly and am thankful that we had a a couple of delightful weeks together in the past three years. Love to all of you, Fran

Leave Condolence

Type your condolence message into the box below and click "Submit". It may take up to 24 hours for it to appear. Your email address will not be published.


Search Website